john+emily = Johmily

House Project #8291

Published by John under on 2:00 PM
As most of you know, we bought this house and immediately caused ourselves much anguish by tearing it apart and then putting it back together. Now, well over a year after moving in, we continue to work on projects as we can get to them.

My latest project was a little more on the fun and entertainment side, which is nice to do once in awhile. Back in June or July, we bought a new TV for our bedroom. It was a nice upgrade to move from what I believe was a 14" TV to a 26" - you can now actually tell who people are on the TV! Since then, the TV has just been sitting on the dresser, but I had had some plans to change that, and the last couple of weekends we put the plan into action.

Last weekend, Josh came over and helped me install a wall mount for the TV. I ended up using a Peerless brand mount. It was a little bit more expensive, but had very good reviews on Amazon. I didn't want to take a chance on the new TV dumping into the floor!

We still had been using plain rabbit ears antenna on this new TV until this weekend, when I completed part two of the plan. Friday night after work, Justin came over, and he and I crawled around in our attic. After what I can only describe as an acrobatic move that was probably disturbing to watch (ask Justin), I ended up over where the TV is mounted. We ran both a network cable and coax cable for antenna down to behind the TV.

For the final piece, I connected to the network cable an Xbox 360 that I just bought. I didn't buy the Xbox as a game console, but because of how it works as a Windows Media Center Extender. A few updates later, we are now able to watch live and recorded TV off of our media center computer in the living room! Anyway, like I said, this was more of a "fun" project, but I'd like to think that at least some of the networking I'm adding to the house makes it a little more "updated" in case we decide to sell it sometime in the future.

Now just a note for you crazy kids out there: I didn't go buy this stuff on a whim - we actually saved for quite awhile before buying, so yes, we are trying to stay with the Dave Ramsey principles.


IMG_8897

IMG_8898

--John

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Lipsum

Followers